1. Outstanding source of flavonoid polyphenols and quercetin
2. The sulfur compounds in onion may work in an anti-clotting capacity and help prevent the unwanted clumping together of blood platelets
3. May also lower blood levels of cholesterol and triglycerides and improve cell membrane function in red blood cells
4. Can help increase our bone density
5. Lowers risk of cancers including colorectal cancer, laryngeal cancer, esophageal cancer, cancers of the mouth, and ovarian cancer
6. Can aid in connective tissue formation because of their high sulfur content
7. Can act as an anti-inflammatory
Another great thing about onions is that is can be thrown into almost any dish! They are great in eggs, pasta, casseroles, sandwiches, soups, and so much more. Today I chose to cook up some chicken and serve it on top of a spinach, onion, tomato, and cheese sauce. DELISH.
CHICKEN OVER A SPINACH AND ONION BED
(I wasn't sure what I should title this...)
4 oz. Chicken breast
1/2 - 1 cup Chopped onion
1 cup Spinach
1/2 cup Light smart traditional Prego spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup Fat free cottage cheese
1. Cook onions in a medium pan with a little cooking spray over medium heat until the onions are tender and translucent.
2. Move onions to a small pot and combine with spinach and spaghetti sauce.
3. In the empty onion pan, cook chicken breast and season with a little seasoning salt.
4. Once the spinach is wilted in the pot stir in cottage cheese and cook until slightly melted.
5. Serve chicken over the bed of sauce.
Makes 1 large serving.
Total Fat: 3.5 g
Sat. Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 829.7 mg
Potassium: 472.4 mg
Total Carbs: 27.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 6.9 g
Sugars: 17.3 g
Protein: 34.4 g
Vitamin A: 66.3%
Vitamin C: 36%