These pancakes are full of nutritious ingredients and as a bonus they are super easy to make. :)
APPLE RING PANCAKES
Pancake batter inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie
1/3 cup Spelt flour (or white whole wheat flour)
2 tbsp Old fashioned oats
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp Baking powder
Dash of salt
1 tsp Vanilla
1 packet Splenda (or Stevia or sweetener of choice*)
1/3 cup Skim milk
1 medium/large Apple
* I used Splenda because that was the only thing we had at our house at the time. If you use a liquid sweetener besure to reduce the milk a little.
1. Heat a flat pan over medium-low heat.
2. Mix together the flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. Peel the apple (if you want, I would have left the skin on, but my mom insisted that I peeled it).
4. Core and thinly slice the apple. Thinner slices will result in a softer apple pancake, whereas, thicker slices will stay more crunchy. ( I ended up with about 7 rings, which I found to be a bit thick in the end).
5. Add the vanilla, splenda, and milk to the dry pancake mix. Stir until combined, but do not over mix.
6. Spray the pan with cooking spray.
7. Dip one apple slice in the pancake batter at a time and place on the pan.
8. Cook like a normal pancake and enjoy!*
*Top the pancakes with whatever you want. My mom and I liked peanut butter, light syrup, and/or cool whip.
Makes 7 pancakes and serves about 2 people.
*Nutrition facts calculated for 1 pancake. Splitting this recipe in two equals about 159 calories per serving.
Total Fat: 0.3 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 95.1 mg
Potassium: 45.6 mg
Total Carbs: 9.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
Sugars: 3.2 g
Protein: 1.5 g
Vitamin A: 0.8%
Vitamin C: 3.1%