Thursday, March 29, 2012

Cake for Breakfast?!

Pin It   I got up this morning to a chilly 34 degrees and decided to postpone my run until later in the day when it's a little nicer out....yes I know I'm a wimp. :p  Not being able to go back to bed and not quite ready to tackle my day's To-Do list yet, I headed into the kitchen.  Remember that Chocolate Peanut Butter Microwave Cake I talked about awhile back and said I had yet to perfect the recipe? I had a few people ask me about it, so I decided to get back to work on it this morning.  I thought about changing the name to a Chocolate Muffin because it was breakfast time and all, but quickly decided against it.  Who says you can't have cake for breakfast?! Having chocolate cake for breakfast sounds like a great start to any day if you ask me. :)  My cake is a little more nutritious than the kind you probably had for your birthday this year however.  It is made with protein powder instead of flour, uses yogurt instead of oil or butter, and is sugar free.  Don't worry if you don't have any of these ingredients though there are plenty of substitutions to try (I just can't vouch that they will be as delicious as my version because I haven't tried them). 

CHOCOLATY PROTEIN MICROWAVE CAKE
Notice that peanut butter is no longer in the title of this recipe.  To be honest, the last time I tried this recipe the only way I could eat it was to smother it in peanut butter to cover up the grainy taste of the cake.  The cake I made this morning is so moist and chocolaty that there is no need to top it with anything, but of course you are more than welcome to as always.  :)
Ingredients:
2 Egg whites
1/3 scoop protein powder (I used a vanilla whey protein, but you could also sub whole wheat flour)
3-4 tbsp Vanilla yogurt (make sure to buy a brand with low sugar or if you don't have yogurt I've heard of people subbing pumpkin or applesauce)
2 packets Stevia (you could probably use honey or agave if you reduce the yogurt a little)
1 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp Baking powder

Directions:
1. Spray microwavable bowl with cooking spray.
2. Separate the egg whites into the bowl and discard the yolks.
3. Whisk in the rest of the ingredients until well blended.
4. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes until a fork comes out clean in the middle (time depends on your microwave).
5. Top with peanut butter if desired and enjoy!
Makes 1 serving.

Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 126
Total Fat: 2.3g
     Sat. Fat: 1.3g
Cholesterol: 21.2mg
Sodium:391.7
Potassium: 228.8mg
Total Carbs: 13.7g
     Dietary Fiber: 1.8g
     Sugars: 4.3g
Protein: 19.7g (WOW! What a great way to start your day!)
Vitamin A: 3.8%
Vitamin C: 1%
Calcium: 13.3%
Iron: 8.5%


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...