For some reason I'm not in the mood to blab on and on about the recipe I am about to share with you today...I guess the cat got my tongue! Ha. Bad joke...I know. Like I said, for some reason I have some sort of writer's block today... Lucky you! You don't have to listen to (or rather read) what I have to say and can get straight to the cookin'! Ready? Set. GO!
(Healthy enough for breakfast and yet indulgent enough for dessert!)
1/4 cup Quinoa, uncooked
1/2 cup water
1 medium Peach, peeled and sliced thinly
1 packet Stevia
Sprinkle of cinnamon
1/2 cup Water
1/4-1/2 tsp Guar gum (or about 1/2 tbsp cornstarch or omit entirely)
1/2 tbsp Honey
1 tsp Coconut oil (or Canola oil)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
Dash of cinnamon
6 oz Lowfat vanilla yogurt or even vanilla frozen yogurt
1. Add quinoa and 1/2 cup water to a small pot and bring to a boil.
2. As soon as it starts boiling reduce heat to medium-low and cover pot. Let the quinoa cook until most of the water has been absorbed (15-20 minutes) and make sure to stir it occasionally.
3. Once the quinoa is cooked move it to a bowl and let cool off for a few minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. In the meantime, mix the peach slices, stevia, cinnamon, and water in the same pot.
6. Cook peaches over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid starts to form a syrup. I added a little guar gum to thicken mine, but you probably don't have to.
6. While the peaches are cooking, mix the quinoa with the honey, oil, vanilla, and a little more cinnamon.
7. Spread the quinoa out on a piece of foil on a cookie sheet.
8. Bake quinoa for 5-10 minutes and remove to stir. Continue to bake quinoa in 5-10 minute intervals until it starts to brown.
9. Let quinoa cool before serving.
10. Once the peaches are cooked, pour them into a new container and place in the fridge until completely cooled.
11. After cooling, layer the peaches, yogurt, and quinoa in small jar or two small bowls. Enjoy!
Makes 1 large serving or 2 small servings.
Large Serving Small Serving
Calories: 366 Calories: 183
Total Fat: 7.9 g Total Fat: 4 g
Sat. Fat: 4 g Sat. Fat: 2 g
Mono Fat: 0.3 g Mono. Fat: 0.2 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg Cholesterol: 2.5 mg
Sodium: 81.3 mg Sodium: 40.6 mg
Potassium: 422 mg Potassium: 211 mg
Total Carbs: 65.6 g Total Carbs: 32.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 7.6 g Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g
Sugars: 30.2 (All natural sugars!) Sugars: 15.1 g
Protein: 10.9 g Protein: 5.5 g
Vitamin A: 21.1 % Vitamin A: 10.5 %
Vitamin C: 11.5 % Vitamin C: 5.8 %
Calcium: 21.4 % Calcium: 10.7 %
Iron: 17.4 % Iron: 8.7%