Man oh man do I miss blogging! Now that school has started again I have been crazy crazy busy as I am sure the rest of you are. It's not that I haven't had time to cook (a girls gotta eat ya know!)... it's just that I haven't had time to photograph and blog all my new creations. So sorry! Hopefully I'll be able to share at least a few of my latest picture-less creations.
Today I am going to share my recipe for Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna! Like my Low Carb Stir Fry, this is a great way to get some extra veggies in your diet while reducing your carbohydrate intake. This recipe is also super easy to customize to your own likes and dislikes. Want cheese? Go ahead and add it! Don't have venison? Try lean ground turkey! Despise mushrooms? Why not try peppers instead! Use your imagination and make it your own. Best of luck and enjoy!
LOW CARB EGGPLANT LASAGNA
(Dairy, grain, gluten, and nut-free)
1 large Eggplant, sliced the long way into 1/3-1/2 inch slices
1 lb Ground venison, cooked
3/4 cup Spaghetti sauce
6 Baby portabella mushroom caps, chopped
1 cup Frozen spinach
Fresh or dried basil
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
2. Grease the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish/pan.
3. Layer the eggplant on the bottom of the pan. You may have to cut a few piece to get it to cover the bottom better.
4. Top the eggplant with a layer of 1/2 the venison, 1/2 the sauce, seasonings to your liking, 1/2 cup frozen spinach, and 1/2 the mushrooms.
5. Repeat layers with remaining 1/2 of the ingredients.
6. Bake for 20-30 minutes uncovered.
7. Remove lasagna from the oven and cover with aluminum foil.
8. Bake for another 30 minutes.
9. Poke a fork into the eggplant to check for doneness. If it still seems hard bake for another 10 minutes and check again.
10. Once the eggplant is tender let lasagna rest before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Total Fat: 6.6 g
Mono. Fat: 2.1 g
Poly. Fat: 0.4 g
Sat. Fat: 2.3 g
Cholesterol: 41.6 mg
Sodium: 286.9 mg
Total Carbs: 14.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.7 g
Sugars: 7.4 g
Protein: 19.3 g
Vitamin A: 17.8%
Vitamin C: 15.4%