Sunday, February 19, 2012

Something Fishy is Going on in my Kitchen

Pin It As soon as I open a can of tuna or pop a bowl of Shrimp and Artichoke Soup in the microwave, I get instant complaints from my roommates.  "It smells like fish in here! Gross!"  "Yea, but it sure tastes good!" I always reply to their whining.  I do have to admit the shrimp I used in my lastest soup did have kind of a fishy odor, but as long as it tasted good I didn't care!  Wanna know something sad? I forgot to take a picture of the final product... I am kind of upset because it actually looked pretty appealing for once (unlike the Southwestern Spaghetti Squash picture...). Haha.

SHRIMP AND ARTICHOKE SOUP
Ingredients:
6 cups Hot water
3-4 tbsps Chicken soup base (preferably low sodium)
2 cups Onions, chopped
3 Garlic cloves, minced
1 (9oz.) package Frozen artichoke hearts
1 cup Quinoa, dry
12 oz Frozen salad shrimp
4 cups Fresh baby spinach
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Pour water into slow cooker and wisk in the soup base.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, cook onions until tender.
3. Add minced garlic to onions and cook another minute.
4. Add onion mixture to slow cooker with artichoke hears, quinoa, and shrimp.
5. Cook on medium-high heat for several hours until quinoa "pops" and is cooked all the way.
6. Stir in the spinach and season to taste.
Makes 9 cups.

Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 151
Total Fat: 1.8 g
     Sat. Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 73.3 mg
Sodium: 307.8 mg
Potassium: 113.9 mg
Total Carbs: 20.9 g
     Dietary Fiber: 3.4 g
     Sugars: 1.1 g
Protein: 11.7 g
Vitamin A: 28%
Vitamin C: 7%
Calcium: 3.2%
Iron: 14.9%

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...