Good inch thick slice of fresh tomato with cucumbers, cream cheese, and homemade pesto on a everything bagel. I can't wait till summer!
This afternoon I attempted to make my own tomato soup. I could have went all out and used fresh tomatos, but due to the load of homework I had yet to complete...canned tomatos it was! Instead I cut back on the sodium by using dried chickpeas in place of canned chick peas. The chick peas are totally optional by the way, I just thought it would add a little meat and substance to the soup.
2 tbsp Chicken soup base (preferably low sodium)
4 cups Hot water
1 lb. 12 oz. can Crushed Tomatos with oregano, onions, and garlic
1 lb. 12 oz. can Petite cut diced tomatos
1 1/2 cup Dried chick peas
2 packets Stevia
Basil to taste
1. Add the first four ingredients to the slow cooker and wisk to combine.
2. Stir in the chick peas.
3. Cook on high for several hours until chick peas are tender and cooked to your liking.
4. Stir in stevia and basil.
5. Serve with whole wheat grilled cheese and enjoy!
Makes 10 cups.
* Note: To make soup creamy add in a little skim milk.
Total Fat: 0.6 g
Sat. Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 201.5 mg
Potassium: 93 mg
Total Carbs: 10.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
Sugars: 3.4 g
Protein: 3 g
Vitamin A: 8.6%
Vitamin C: 11.5%