CHEESY CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
3 cups Acorn squash, mashed (could probably use other varieties such as butternut squash too)1/4 tsp Nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Skim milk
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 lb Venison chops, cut into small pieces
1 tsp Onion flakes (or cut up and use an onion I just didn't have any on hand)
1 tsp Garlic powder
6 cups Kale, ripped into bite sized pieces
16 oz. Frozen cauliflower
1 cup Chicken soup base (low sodium)
1 cup Lowfat cottage cheese
1 cup Part-skim mozzarella
Top picture is the overflowing kale
and the bottom is the cooked down kaleDirections:
1. Poke a few holes in the squash and microwave until tender. I did mine in 3 minute intervals turning it each time.
2. Once the squash is cooked cut it in half and let it cool off a little for easier handling.
3. Scoop out about 3 cups worth of squash and mash in a large bowl.
4. Add in the nutmeg and desired amount of salt and pepper.
5. Stir in milk until well combined.
6. In a skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat.
7. Add in the venison, minced onion flakes, and garlic powder.
8. Cook until almost completely done and add in kale. It will probably overflow the pan, but it will cook down quickly.
9. Add a little water to the pan to create some steam to wilt the kale a little faster.
10. Lightly mix until kale is tender.
11. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
12. Dump the frozen cauliflower in a microwavable bowl with a cover and microwave for 8 minutes stirring halfway through.
13. In the meantime, stir together the cottage cheese and half of the mozzarella in a small bowl.
14. In the large bowl with the squash mix together the venison/kale mixture, cauliflower, and chicken soup base.
15. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
16. Spread half of the squash mixture into the bottom of the pan and evenly drop spoonfuls of the cottage cheese mix on top.
17. Add the second half of the squash and top with remaining mozzarella.
18. Bake for 40-50 minutes until top is slightly golden.
19. Let stand for another 15-20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Makes 8 good sized servings.
Total Fat: 5.4 g
Sat. Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 49.1 mg
Sodium: 327.2 mg
Potassium: 90.1 mg
Total Carbs: 17.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g
Sugars: 3.8 g
Protein: 24.6 g
Vitamin A: 98 %
Vitamin C: 82.6 %
Calcium: 19.6 %
Iron: 13.6 %