Saturday, May 12, 2012

"My sister is making dinner tonight... #Lordhelpme"

Pin It Going home and cooking dinner for my family when they come home from work/school is one of my favorite things to do.  I love to try new recipes on them and get their honest opinions (my sister being my biggest critic).  More often than not, she will eat her own plain buttered noodles for dinner while my parents and I enjoy the delicious meal I cooked. 

This past week when I was home making dinner I received a tweet from her saying "My sister is making dinner tonight... #Lordhelpme" I laughed at that one. Challenge accepted. Little did she know that she would actually like what I made!  She just about cleaned her plate when I made my lightened up version of Shepard's Pie.  To have her of all people eat the dinner I made is a huge accomplishment!  It must have a winner.

After my good friend made my Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies, she decided I needed to add an "Alyse Stamp of Approval" to my blog.  Along with my sister, she is one the pickiest people I know, so an "Alyse and Kailee Stamp of Approval" would almost guarantee that 99% of the worlds population would like my recipe.  That's pretty good if you ask me.

This recipe is a nutrition packed version of the classic Shepard's Pie you might have enjoyed growing up.   Annndd unlike a lot of lightened up recipes there is no lack of flavor here.  Enjoy!

SHEPARD'S PIE
Ingredients:
1 lb Super lean ground beef (or ground venison)
1/2 cup Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Carrots, chopped
1 cup Zucchini, chopped
2 cups Mushrooms, sliced
3/4 cup Water (save a splash
1 1/2 tsp Chicken soup base, low sodium
1 tbsp Cornstarch
1/2 tsp + 1 pinch dried Rosemary
Scant 1/4 tsp + 1 dash dried Sage
1/2 tsp + 1 pinch dried Thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

1/2 head of Cauliflower
1 Egg
1/2 cup Lowfat cottage cheese

Directions:
1. Prepare vegetables by chopping, mincing, and slicing and set aside in a medium size bowl.
2. Brown the meat either in the microwave or in a skillet until just about done. Drain any liquid in the pan to remove the extra fat.
3. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, zucchini, and mushrooms to the skillet, mix, and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are softened.
4. In the mean time, boil some water in a medium pot.  While waiting for the water to boil, chop the cauliflower into 1 to 2 inch pieces.
5. Once the water is boiling add in the cauliflower and cook until pretty tender. (Sorry I don't have an exact time.)
6. Preheat oven to 400 F.
7. In a cup whisk the chicken soup base and cornstarch into 1 cup of boiling water.  Save about 2-3 tbsp of this in a small bowl.
8. Once the vegetables are tender, stir in the chicken soup base/cornstarch mixture (minus the little bit you are saving).
9. Turn off the heat and mix in 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, scant 1/4 tsp sage, 1/2 tsp thyme, and salt/pepper to taste.
10. Pour mixture into a 9x9 greased baking dish (make sure it is not too shallow) and pat down into an even layer.
11. Drain the water from the cauliflower.
12. Add the egg, saved chicken stock, and cottage cheese to the cauliflower and mash until the mixture is pretty smooth and combined.
13. Add in the last of the seasonings (pinch rosemary, dash sage, pinch thyme, and salt/pepper to taste). Mix well.
14. Pour the cauliflower over the meat mixture in the baking dish and smooth the top with a spoon or spatula.
15. Bake for 15 minutes on a middle rack.
16. Turn the oven to broil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden on top.
17. Let pie stand a few minutes before serving.
Makes 9 servings.

Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 114
Total Fat: 4.3 g
     Sat. Fat: 1.8 g
Cholesterol: 52.8 mg
Sodium: 157.4 mg
Potassium: 212.4 mg
Total Carbs: 8.4 g
     Dietary Fiber: 2.2 g
     Sugars: 3.7 g
Protein: 14 g
Vitamin A: 15.1%
Vitamin C: 31.6%
Calcium: 3.3.%
Iron: 9.1%

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...