Thursday, May 31, 2012

Savory Salmon (or Chicken) Souffle

Pin It In the midst of my cleaning marathon yesterday, I decided I better whip up a quick dinner so I could get back to my cleaning.  I was sick of my usual go to foods and  I was in need of something new.    In the spirit of my cleaning marathon, I decided to do a little bit of a fridge clean out.   Some of the bazillion eggs cluttering up my fridge, a handful of spinach on the verge of going bad, and a can of salmon I've had laying around for quite some time.  Eggs? Spinach? Salmon?  What could I possibly make with that?!  How about a Salmon SoufflĂ©!  Protein and omega-3 packed and of course delicious!  For my my favorite picky-eater fans, you can probably substitute about 1-1 1/2 cups small cup-up pieces of chicken breast (already cooked), but you lose the benefits of the omega-3s so I dare you to try the salmon. :)

SALMON SOUFFLE

Ingredients:
6 Eggs, separated
1-2 tsp Basil
1 tsp Garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 (14 oz.) can Wild Alaskan caught salmon
2 cup Fresh spinach, ripped into smaller pieces

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
2. Separate the yols from the egg whites in two bowls.
3. Mash the canned salmon really well in a small bowl after removing the large pieces of bone.
4. Whisk the yolks with the basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
5. Add the salmon to the yolk mixture and mix.
6. Beat the egg whites (an electric mixer works best unless you want to do it by hand with a whisk and get a good arm workout in :P) until they form soft peaks.
7. Gently fold the yolk mixture into the egg whites.  Be careful not to over mix and deflate the egg whites.
8. Pour soufflé mix into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
9. Drop little spoonfuls of cottage cheese across the top.
10. Bake for  10-12 minutes.
11. Let rest for another 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Makes 9 servings. (Or more if you are pairing it with something else for your meal)

Nutrition Facts:
(Based on 9 servings)
Calories: 120
Total Fat: 7.3 g
     Sat. Fat: 1.8 g
Cholesterol: 154.4 mg
Sodium: 262.1 mg
Potassium: 92.6 mg
Total Carbs: 0.6 g
     Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
     Sugars: 0.1 g
Protein: 13.6 g
Vitamin A: 16.8 %
Vitamin C: 3.4 %
Calcium: 10.1 %
Iron: 5.6 %

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...