Wednesday, February 1, 2012

HEALTHY Ice Cream...Say Wha??!!

Pin It So as most of my close friends know, I am obsessed with FoodGawker.com.  I am not one to waste my time on creeping on Facebook.  Instead you'll find me browsing pages upon pages of recipes...ask anyone who sits behind me in class if you don't believe me.  Whoops!  Newho, recently I came across a recipe for Apple Pie Ice Cream.  (see recipe here http://cravingsgoneclean.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/apple-pie-ice-cream/) Yum!  I just had to try it!  With a few of my own tweaks here and there, I made it my own.  After blending all the ingredietns together, I took a little taste test.  Results?  DELICIOUS (and of course nutritious!).  I think this is one of the BEST recipes I have ever made.  I could have easily eaten the whole batch right then and there.  My roommate liked it too although she suggested cutting back on the cinnamon a bit, but I disagree.  I love cinnamon...and lots of it. :)  Plus its full of antioxidants!  Did you know 1 teaspoon has as many antioxidants as a cup of pomegranate juice or 1/2 a cup of blueberries?  Crazy huh?  
Well here's the recipe.  I can't wait to try other variations and flavors of this recipe!

APPLE PIE ICE CREAM
Adapted from Cravings Gone Clean

Ingredients:
1 medium Apple, chopped into small pieces (I used a Gala apple)
1/4 cup Weight Watchers vanilla yogurt
1/2 scoop Vanilla protein powder
1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
1/2 tbsp Vanilla extract
2 packets Stevia

Directions:
1. Chop up the apple the night before and place in the freezer.
2. After the apple is frozen, add all the ingredients to a food processor (or maybe try a blender or magic bullet?).
3. Blend until smooth.
4. Enjoy!  It is best if eaten right away, but you can try freeze it if you have leftovers (highly unlikely!).
Makes 2-3 servings.

Nutrition Facts:
(based 2 servings)
Calories: 94
Total Fat: 0.6 g
    Sat. Fat: 0.3 g
Cholesterol: 16.9 mg
Sodium: 36.7 mg
Potassium: 164.8 mg
Total Carbs: 15.7 g
     Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g
     Sugar: 10 g
Protein: 7.6 g
Vitamin A: 3%
Vitamin C: 5.3%
Calcium: 9.6%
Iron: 4.8%

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...