Saturday, April 14, 2012

Birthdays Birthdays Birthdays

Pin It Is is just me or are a ton of people born in April?  I mean seriously I know 1...2...3...4...5...6...and I can keep going!  Crazy I tell ya.  I'm not complaining though!  I love birthdays especially other people's birthdays.  I think I get more excited to see other people open their presents than I do opening my own presents.  It's so exciting!  Haha.  Plus I'm really enjoying my birthday cake challenge

The first birthday cake of the month went to my sister Kailee.  When I asked her for a list of her favorite foods to get inspiration from, she said that she loved Maple Brown Sugar Poptarts.  Definitely not a health food, but I was up for the challenge.  I won't post the exact recipe here because I kinda maybe sorta didn't write all the ingredients down...but I'll give ya some guidelines in case you want to make a Poptart Cake of your own. 

POPTART CAKE

Ingredients:
Cake
The base of the cake is inspired by my PBJ Bars (minus the peanuts and the jelly and plus a few slight modifications).
Poptart Filling
This was inspired by the famous garbanzo bean cookie dough dip a lot of people have been blogging about lately.
Frosting
I am going to be honest with you on this one and say the frosting can from a Betty Crocker box and wasn't the healthiest...gasp!  I know I know...  I was just trying to make my sister happy.  Haha.

Directions:
1. Make two thin cake sheets.
2. Frost one layer and top with the other to form the poptart.
3. Frost top.
4. Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts:
N/A

Again I'm sorry for the late of detail in my recipe, but I want to challenge you to make your own and use your imagination.  Not too long after I made the Poptart Cake, I had to get my gears turning again to think of what to make my roommate for her birthday.  Recently, I found the cutest pink pig gummies at the Wholesale grocery store.  I couldn't resist buying them for her because she loves pigs almost as much as I love giraffes.  It was then that I decided to make her a pink pig cake with a secret ingredient.  Dun dun dunnnn.  You guys are lucky that you get to read what the secret ingredient is before you try the cake.  My roommates weren't so lucky.  I refused to tell them until they tried and it and to my surprise they loved it!  I got a kick out of them trying to guess the secret ingredient too.  :p 
I have to put another disclaimer on this recipe because it is definitely not as nutritious as it could be being as it uses a boxed cake mix, but hey who says you can't overdose on sugar on your birthday?!

PIGGY CHOCOLATE CAKE


Ingredients:
1 box Chocolate cake mix
1 can (about 15 oz) Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)*
1-1 1/2 cups Water

*I promise you won't taste the pumpkin at all!

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Mix all ingredients together making sure all the clumps are broken up.
3. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
4. Bake 30-50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean in the center.

Nutrition Facts:
N/A

Note: I used folded up aluminum foil like a cookie cutter to shape the cake like a pig.  Then I used the leftover frosting from my sisters cake to frost it and added a pinch of red jello mix to dye it pink.  Pretty resourceful huh? :) 


Sorry Jordan...I just had to add this!

2 comments:

  1. omg how cute is that photo of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually my roommate, but I'll pass the comment on. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...