Pin It Living on a budget and eating healthy is not as hard as most people think. You don't have to buy everything "organic" to be healthy. All it takes is a little education and some deal searching. :) I'm always looking for what fruits and vegetables are in season because they tend to be the cheapest. Talking to your local produce guy/gal is also helpful. The other day while at the grocery store I wound up having a good conversation with the old produce guy about new fun ways to enjoy salads. He also pointed out to me that the collard, mustard, and turnip greens were on sale for $0.67. $0.67! It doesn't get much better than that! Haha. One of my favorite meals to quickly whip up is a veggie egg scramble. It takes almost no time at all and its super easy. Plus, you can customize to to your own tastebuds and nutritional needs very easily. Lately, I have been really into onions and salsa. Yum. Sorry everyone, but no picture here... to be honest the end result does not look very appetizing. Not to worry though it definitely makes up for its looks in taste!
VEGGIE EGG SCRAMBLE
1/8 -1/4 cup Lowfat cottage cheese
The possibilities are endless!
1. Chop up the vegetables of your choosing (whatever size you like best).
2. Spray or add a little olive oil to a pan.
3. Cook veggies over medium heat until tender.
4. In a small bowl onthe side beat the eggs and cottage cheese together.
5. Once the veggies are done pour them into the bowl with the egg.
6. Respray the pan with cooking spray and then pour the egg mixture into the pan and reduce the heat to medium low.
7. Occasionally stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan, cook until the eggs are no longer runny.
8. Pour egg scramble into a bowl and top with salsa.
9. Dig in!
(Made with 2 large eggs, 1/8 cup lowfat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 cup frozen spinach, and 1/4 cup salsa)
Total Fat: 8.6 g
Sat. Fat: 2.3 g
Cholesterol: 342.5 mg
Sodium: 830.5 mg (This is pretty high due to my obsession with salsa...)
Potassium: 417.8 mg
Total Carbs: 15.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.5 g
Sugars: 9.5 g
Protein: 18 g
Vitamin A: 75%
Vitamin C: 12%