Friday, August 17, 2012

Sweet Potato Breakfast Bake

Pin It
Good morning everyone!  I hope you are all waking up and enjoying a nice healthy breakfast this morning.  I know I am!  I love going to bed at night know I have a delicious breakfast waiting for me when I get up. 

Normally, I am not in the mood to make myself an extravagant meal in the morning.  Takes too much effort when I'm still groggy from the last night's sleep... especially during the school year.  How am I enjoying such a delicious breakfast then you may ask?  Leftovers!  Seriously.  For those of you cooking for one or even for a family, leftovers can be the best thing ever.  Cook a big batch, scoop individual potion sizes into containers, store in the fridge, go to bed, wake up, pop one of those babies in the microwave, and dig in!  Easy peasy! (Note: I even skip the microwaving step all together with the recipe because I love it cold.)

Lately I've been making egg bakes for the week, but decided I needed to change it up for a few days.  This is when my Sweet Potato Breakfast Bake recipe was born.  Mmm. I just finished my last bowl as we speak and I'm kind of sad.  I loved the soft texture...kind of like a mixture between a muffin and pumpkin pie....interesting comparison I know, but still so good.  Plus the raisins add a special touch of sweetness with every bite.  Nuts would also be a great addition to this recipe for those of you who like a little crunch!

SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST BAKE
Ingredients:
1 large Sweet potato
1/2 cup Almond meal (Fine ground almonds)
1/2 cup Sesame seeds, ground into a flour
2 tbsp Flax
1 tsp cinnamon
Nutmeg
Cloves
Allspice
1 tsp Baking soda
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup Raisins

Directions:
1. Preheat 375 F degrees.
2. Cook the sweet potato in the microwave or the oven until very tender.
3. In the meantime, add the almond meal to a food processor to grind into a finer flour (you can omit this step if your almonds are already pretty fine).
4. Transfer the almond meal to a mixing bowl and add the sesame seeds to the food processor.  Process into a flour like texture.
5. Mix together the almond meal, sesame seed flour, flax, spices, and baking soda.
6. Scoop the cooled sweet potato (you don't want it to cook the egg right away!) into food processor along with the egg and vanilla and puree.
7. Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
8. Fold in the raisins.
9. Pour into a grease 8x8 baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes.  I took mine out when a fork came out clean, but it ended up being pretty soft in the middle when I cut into it.  I thought it was actually really good that way; however, if you don't want a gooey casserole you can try cooking it longer for a drier cake like texture.
Makes 6 decent sized breakfast servings.

Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 227
Total Fat: 13.2 g
     Mono. Fat: 3 g
     Poly. Fat: 3.5 g
     Sat. Fat: 1.6 g
Cholesterol: 54.5 mg
Sodium: 251 mg
Potassium: 290.6 mg
Total Carbs: 23.4 g
     Dietary Fiber: 4.8 g
     Sugars: 10 g
Protein: 7.4 g
Vitamin A: 36%
Vitamin C: 1%
Calcium: 18%
Iron: 17%

NOTE: If you haven't yet like my page on Facebook for important updates. Click here to link to my page.  Also if you are into Twitter you can follow me at @Nutritiousnd.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...