Sunday, May 20, 2012

SUPER Easy Vegan Fajitas

Pin It
This post goes out to my picky friend again.  She is not a vegan by any means, but she's not too big on eating meat.  I'm always nagging her about getting more protein in her diet (sorry!), so I've come up with a recipe to help her.  I don't know how she will feel about the beans, but I hope she will at least give it a try.  :) 

I have been craving fajitas for awhile now, but haven't had much time to cook this week.  My organic chemistry class just started and I've been working every single night at my new job, which leaves little room for cooking and blogging.  Once I found a few spare minutes, I quickly whipped this recipe up in the slow cooker and continued about my busy day.  It's so easy anybody could do it!  Once it is made it can be stored in the fridge for quick easy meals for the rest of the week.  You eat it on a wrap like a normal fajita, eat it in a bowl with cooked brown rice, quinoa, or shirataki noodles, or even eat it straight up!   You can also customize it by adding things like red or green peppers to the slow cooker.  Yum yum!  Enjoy the delicious taste of a fajita with the nutritional benefits of fiber and protein. 

VEGAN FAJITAS
Ingredients:
1 can (15 oz.) Black beans, no salt added or reduced sodium
1 can (15 oz.) Diced tomatoes
1 cup Onion, sliced into strips (I just used one onion which was around a cups worth)
15 slices Jalapenos
1 cup Lentils, dry
1 cup Water
1 package Fajita seasoning mix, reduced sodium

Optional:
Low carb tortilla shells
Lettuce, sour cream, salsa, or any other toppings you might want
Brown rice
Quinoa
Shirataki Noodles

Directions: (SUPER EASY)
1. Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker and stir together.  Make sure you rinse the lentils and black beans!
2. Cook on medium heat for 3-4 hours until lentils are tender, but now mushy.
3. Serve on a tortilla shell with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Makes about 5 cups or 10 half cup servings.

Nutrition Facts:
(Based on 1/2 cup servings)
Calories: 95
Total Fat: 0.4 g
     Sat. Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 256.9 mg
Potassium: 121.4 mg
Total Carbs: 20.5 g
     Dietary Fiber: 6.7 g
     Sugars: 2.5 g
Protein: 5.9 g
Vitamin A: 6.3 %
Vitamin C: 7.7%
Calcium: 3.6 %
Iron: 11.4%

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...