Thursday, July 12, 2012

Funky Monkey Brownies....With a Super Secret Ingredient!

Pin It Can you guess my latest crazy surprise ingredient?  I bet not! I'll give you 10 questions...

1. Is it a bean?....Nope.
2. Is it a type of seed?....Nu uh.
3. Is it a vegetable?....Mhmmmmm.
4. Is it green?....No.
5. Is it squash?...Uh Uh.
6. Is it orange?....Negative.
7. Is it white?...Yep.
8. Is it a vegetable that I know?...Sure is.
9. Is it a potato?...Nooooo.
10. Is it cauliflower?...YOU GUESSED IT!

Sounds disgusting right?  I promise you won't even notice!  I have to admit though...this recipe is actually started out as a major flop.  My original intent going into the kitchen was to make chocolate banana bread.  Unfortunately as I opened the oven I found something a little different than what I was expecting. But no worries! It turned into something even better than banana bread!  By mistake I had created some of the healthiest and fudgeyist (that's not a word, but who cares? :P) brownies ever.  Bummer right? Not. Haha.  I'll take it!

I decided that Funky Monkey Brownies was the perfect name for this recipe for two reasons.  Number one:  I think you'll agree with me when I say cauliflower in brownies is pretty funky... And number two: Funky Banana Brownies just sounds...well gross.  So Funky Monkey Brownies it is!  Enjoy!

FUNKY MONKEY BROWNIES

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Old Fashion Oats, ground into a flour
1/2 cup White Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup Cauliflower, cooked/steamed
2 medium Bananas, very ripe
2 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Unsweetened applesauce
2 packets Stevia
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 large Egg white

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
3. Puree the cauliflower and bananas until smooth.
4. Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk until well combines.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
6. Pour in a greased 9x9 baking dish/pan.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out of the middle clean.
Makes 9 good sized brownies.



Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 91
Total Fat: 1 g
     Sat. Fat: 0.1 g
     Poly. Fat: 0.1 g
     Mono. Fat: 0.1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 157.6 mg
Potassium: 99.8 mg
Total Carbs: 19.1 g
     Dietary Fiber: 2.3 g
     Sugars: 7.5 g
Protein: 2.6 g
Vitamin A: 0.4%
Vitamin C: 10.4%
Calcium: 0.9%
Iron: 5.1%

1 comment:

  1. These fellas are in the oven right now! Had to make them again after they turned out so well the first time with Leah. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...