Thursday, March 22, 2012

Guac Guac Guac...Guac Guac..Guac Guac! Guacamole Soup!

Pin It If you didn't get it the first time you read it, you are supposed to read the title like the old Nickelodeon theme song.  "Nick Nick Nick...Nick Nick..Nick Nick! Nickelodeon!"  I'm lame I know.  It just popped in my head when I was trying to think of a title, so I couldn't resist.  :)

Newho!  I just got back from a wonderful spring break trip to Puerto Vallarta with my family and I am already having guacamole withdrawals. 
I could not even give you an estimate of how many avocados my family and I consumed while we were down there.  So good! And even better yet good for you!  Avocados are loaded with health benefits.  Here are just a few:
1. Promotes heart health
2. Wide-ranging anti-inflammatory benefits
3. Optimized Absorption of Carotenoids (I should be careful with this one being as I'm still a little orange from my beta carotene overdose...haha!)
4. Supports cardiovascular health
5. Promotes blood sugar regulation
6. Anti-cancer benefits
For more detailed information on avocados benefits check out: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5

I decided to fix my guacamole craving by making some Guacamole Soup!  I know its getting a little warm to be having soup, but I love having a big batch around because its so easy to heat up when I am sort on time in between classes and meetings.  I was also excited to use the Westsoy Tempeh  I got during my first experience at Woodman's in my soup.  I was like a kid in a candy store! That place is huge and offers lots of fun new foods AND for a decent price.  I can't wait to go back!

Another fun fact about this soup is that all the beans are not from a can.  I just took on a new challenge to use less canned goods for two main reasons.  1) Canned goods often contain extra sodium 2) Its CHEAPER to buy dried beans.  I am excited to take on this new challenge and I want to challenge yourself to do the same :)

GUACAMOLE SOUP
* I wish avocados didn't turn brown. :( 
Ingredients:
2 cups Chicken broth (I used Watkins Chicken Soup Base)
2 cups Water
1/2 cup Dry black beans
1/2 cup Dry white beans

1 cup Chopped onion
2 small-medium Avocados
2 cups Zucchini, pureed
2 cups Chicken broth
2 cups Water
15 oz can No salt diced tomatoes
1 tbsp Lemon juice
1/2 tsp Crushed red pepper
2 tsp Taco seasoning, low sodium
1 tsp Garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 package Westsoy tempeh (3 servings worth or you can substitute any other lean protein ex. chicken)
Directions:
1. Add the first four ingredients to a slow cooker. Cook on high until boiling then turn to medium and cook until beans are tender.  I don't have an exact time, but it usually takes a few hours.
2. After the beans are cooked drain and set beans aside in another bowl.
3. Cook onions in medium skillet with a little olive oil cooking spray until slightly brown and tender.
4. While the onion are cooking, mash up the avocado in a large bowl.
5. Whisk in the pureed zucchini, chicken broth, and water.
6. Transfer liquid to the slow cooker and stir in the tomatoes, lemon juice and seasonings.
7. Chop up the block of tempeh or choice of protein (already cooked) to small bite size pieces.
8. Add choice of protein to soup and bring soup to a slight boil again.
9. Reduce to medium and add in beans.
10. Cook another 5 minutes and then enjoy!
Makes about 13 cups.
Nutrition Facts:
Calories: 111
Total Fat: 4.3 g
     Sat. Fat: 0.5 g
     Poly. Fat: 0.3 g
     Mono. Fat: 1.5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 154.7 mg
Potassium: 158.9 mg
Total Carbs: 14.7 g
     Dietary Fiber: 5.4 g
     Sugars: 2.2 g
Protein: 7 g
Vitamin A: 4.2%
Vitamin C: 8.4%
Calcium: 4.7%
Iron: 7.6%

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...